Biocom is a Bioenergy industry in the sugar-energy sector. The scope of its operations is the production of crystal sugar, anhydrous ethanol and the generation of electric energy from the use of biomass. Through this project, the company produces its electricity needs and supplies surplus energy back to the grid.
There was absence of a legal framework to address the renewable energy modality from the use of biomass which hindered produc-tion of electricity from biomass. In addition, there was energy supply deficit in Angola, due to the high population growth that de-mands electrical energy to ensure comfort and life quality.
The solution is to produce electricity from sugar cane biomass. Biocom with its process of electric energy generation from the use of sugarcane biomass and plant suppression is able to generate electricity on a considerable scale.
The project involved a sugar cane facility taking up a multi-purpose role of producing crystal white sugar, ethanol and electricity. There is massive importation of labour to bring in more expertise and technical advice to local staff. In ddition,, the agro-industry facility meets all its energy needs and sells surplus energy back to the grid.
• Processes 2.2 MM tons of sugarcane to produce 256 thousand tons of sugar
• Generate sustainable electricity from the use of biomass from sugarcane
• 178,328 MW of electricity generated and exported by Biocom from 2014
• Importing labour to assist with technical expertise
• The model has potential of being replicated elsewhere